Wednesday, August 3, 2016

For My Husband on Our Anniversary

On August 4th, my husband and I will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.  This hardly seems possible that it's been that long and yet, some days, it feel feels like we've been married forever.  These years of our marriage, I have decided, are like the thick of the battle; we're in trenches. We're overrun by children and stress.  Half the time, we can't figure out how to communicate with each other; the other half of the time, we fall asleep mid-sentence.

This anniversary we'll be surrounded by the four tiny people were crazy enough to create. I'll probably make a dinner no one will like.  We'll wrestle to get everyone in bed and then we'll pass out trying to watch another episode of "The Walking Dead."  (It's the same episode we've been trying to watch of the last week).

Married with kids? It's not glamorous or peaceful.  We rarely get five minutes to ourselves, let alone five minutes with each other.  When we are alone, we bicker and argue. There are more days where I'm annoyed than not at my husband and I'm certain that feeling is mutual.  There have been days when I have wondered what in the world am I doing?  Why am I married?  (I'm also sure that feeling is mutual).

Marriage is hard.  Marriage with kids is harder.  Marriage with kids with autism is super hard. But I'm proud of us for sticking it out.  When many, many people would have broken, my husband and I held each other together, usually with duct tape and prayer. We may fight and push each other's buttons but we get through the hard stuff as a team.

Sometimes in the midst of all that hard, ugly things life throws us, it's hard to remember the why. Why did we fall in love?  Why did I pick this person? Why is this worth sticking it out?  Why?  Why is always such an annoying question. It sits in the back of your brain and pecks away at you until you figure out the answer.  And frankly, this question needed to be answered.

So, for my husband whose love language is words of affirmation, and, for my husband, on our anniversary (and also because this is free and we're on a budget), here is why I love my husband (in no particular order):

1.  He makes me laugh.
2.  He's extremely smart and well-read.
3.  He's humble.
4.  He's compassionate with those that are hurting.
5.  He clearly has good taste in women.
6.  He works hard, even at a job that would not be his first choice.
7.  He's an all-around good guy.
8.  He's an amazing father, to children that can be difficult.
9.  He puts up with me.
10.  He loves Jesus.

I am very thankful to have Carl as my husband.  Our road has not been an easy one.  We've held on through bumps and bruises, through anger and disappointment, but somehow, we've always held on to each other.

Happy anniversary to my love.  I don't say it enough but you are the very best that God could have given me.






_________
Guess what?  A Stone's Throw from Perfection now has its very own Facebook page.  It needs friends.  Can you help?  Click here to join: A Stone's Throw From Perfection Facebook page

Did you enjoy this read?  Want a good place to start?  Click hereTelling the Truth

No comments:

Post a Comment