Friday, June 17, 2016

Mommy/Kid Photo Challenge, Days 1-5

I know there are a few of you out there that aren't on Facebook (that's kind of weird but okay, I still love you).  All week, I've been posting a photo for the photo challenge I gave myself earlier. The goal is to take a photo with at least one of my children every day for a month.  If you want to read more about the challenge and why I challenged myself, click here: Memories and Photographs

I thought I would put them all in a post about once a week so you can keep me honest.  I have to say that I have surprised myself by how much fun it's been to take more pictures with my kiddos.  I'm still not thrilled with the way I look in them but I am thrilled that I get to capture a moment with my children.  

Day 1:  Minnie Doctor (Katherine, age 2) is checking my "heart beep" and making sure my heart isn't broken. Never fear, all is well with my heart. 

Day 2: This morning Gideon crawled up on my lap for a cuddle and a squeeze. Sensory processing disorder (SPD) often goes hand in hand with an autism diagnosis. SPD looks different for each child. For instance, Daniel is overly sensitive to touch (I have to ask permission to touch his face) and, while he like hugs, he'd rather be the one to initiate it so I have to take them when I can get them. Gideon, on the other hand, craves deep pressure. He LOVES getting squeezes and happily spend all day getting them. He also seeks a lot of sensory play--mud, shaving cream, play dough. If it's goopy or messy, he loves it.

SPD is also the culprit behind noise sensitivity. Some people with SPD have trouble with bright lights, textures (like socks and tags in their clothing), and food issues (texture, taste, even color).
So this morning, Gideon climbed in my lap for a squeeze and Daniel snapped this picture for me (it was his first time taking a picture but he did a pretty good job--except for his finger in the picture). And no, Gideon is not picking his nose.

Day 3: Ben, age 8, and I made banana bread this morning. He loves to cook/bake and I get him to read a recipe and follow it (kind of the perfect way to check reading comprehension).
Today Ben is going for an evaluation with an occupational therapist. In April, he was diagnosed with a learning disability in written expression. His teacher brought concerns to us in October and we've spent almost the whole school year getting him evaluated through the school district and then by a third party doctor (paid by the school district). We are told he "tests too high" to receive services but everyone, especially his teacher and I, can see him struggling. For instance, his last spelling test this year? Even having studies, he got one out of ten correct. His teacher, who is amazing, pulled him aside and tested him orally and he got them ALL right.

The doctor we saw is sure in a year that he would test "low enough" and, in her words, "Let him fail the state assessment next year and then they'll pay attention." We suspect dyslexia and/or digraphia. (Incidentally, having an autistic sibling (or two) puts a kid at a 25% higher chance of having a learning disability, dyslexia being the most common.)
The very, very heartbreaking part about this is that Ben is a smart guy who has used his smarts to compensate for his struggles but his self-esteem has plummeted this year. He seems himself struggle and doesn't know how to fix it. The staff at his school have been wonderful but their hands are tied by state special education regulations. Ben is literally the kid falling between the cracks. And sadly, I know he's not the only one.
Next year, I'll be homeschooling Ben and Daniel. Insurance does not cover learning disabilities and specialized reading programs charge as much as $2000 a week (that is not a typo). So, we're taking a step back and working on what Ben needs to work on. It will be a challenge but I refuse to let him try so hard just to fail over and over again.
PHOTO CRED: Daniel, who will be an expert photographer when this is over with.

Day 4--At the end of the school year, Daniel brought home a print out with all the words his classmates used to describe him. The words? Funny. Happy. Friendly. Silly. Shy. Quiet. Humorous. Peaceful.
I love this picture of Daniel because it is TOTALLY Daniel. He always has a grin and a giggle. Always. His autism has never slowed him down. It's definitely a part of him but it's not all of him. 

Day 5: Because sometimes playing with your food is okay.

_______________________________________________________________________________
Guess what?  A Stone's Throw from Perfection now has its very own Facebook page.  It needs friends.  Can you help?  Click here to join: A Stone's Throw From Perfection Facebook page

Did you enjoy this read?  Want a good place to start?  Click hereTelling the Truth









No comments:

Post a Comment