Saturday, April 30, 2016

For a Lifetime

Today is the last day of April and that means the last day of Autism Awareness Month.  For most of you, anyway.  For those of us with autistic children, our month is all year.  24 hours, 365 days, for a lifetime.  Don't forget about those of us who are "in the trenches" every single minute of every single day. 

Here are some ideas to help the autism families you know any time of the year:

1. Call (okay, text is better) to say "Hi," so they don't feel forgotten. Because we feel lonely and alone a lot.
2.  Invite them to something (the park, dinner, the zoo) and make a point of saying you'll help keep an eye on the kids so they'll feel less overwhelmed.
3. Bring a meal one day, randomly, for no other reason than to just provide a little break.  A great day to do that is when you know they have several therapy appointments in one day or just seem extra rundown and tired and need a pick me up.  (Psst--Don't forget dessert!)
4.  Send a card.  Just because.
5. Pray for them.
6.  Offer to babysit.  Finding babysitters are difficult for our family and, frankly, we can't afford it.  My husband and I have never been away from our children for a night together.  But even a couple hours away when we know our children are safe and cared for can make a huge difference in how we tackle the next day or week.
7. Take an autism mom or dad out for coffee or wine or beer or cheesecake. Remind them they have a friend. 
8. Wallow in the mud with them when necessary.
9. Take the time to know a child with autism.  You may be surprised what they'll teach you.
10.  If you don't know an autism family personally, think about making a contribution to a local autism organization that helps families.  National organizations do not give directly to families that desperately need the help.

I hope over the last month I've been able to share a little bit about our life and, while I wasn't trying to educate anyone, I hope you saw a different point of view.  Some parts aren't pretty.  Some parts are messy.  Some parts are painful.  Some parts are exhausting.  Some parts are bewildering.  Some parts are terrifying.

Some parts are beautiful too.

I'll still be blogging away, but more like three or four times a week.  I have loved having an excuse to write each day though but I don't believe we've eaten dinner on time once this month.  Yes, writing is more fun than cooking but it does not feed the troops (and they will turn on me at some point). I've gotten to write about many things that have been heavy on my heart for a long time and I appreciate each of you for reading it, even if it didn't make a lick of sense.  I have appreciated every comment, every personal message, every encouragement that you've given me. 
**********

I have a favor to ask, pretty please.  Would you be so kind as to comment below and let me know which post has been your favorite this month?  No right or wrong answer! You don't have to register for anything.  You can do it anonymously.  I would love to see what you loved as I continue writing. 
                                                                                                                 --Thanks so much,
                                                                                                                        Sharon



7 comments:

  1. I loved every posts this month! I love reading about the kiddos, relating to them, having a glimpse into their lives. I love your honesty, openness, good, bad, and ugly. I love how you direct our eyes back to God, no matter how different or difficult our lives are, we are part of His marvelous creation. I love your humor, your attitude and your vulnerability. Keep writing, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm.... I really can't choose. I liked the maze post, your temper tantrum was good (and someone has those in our family too), also the one about getting ready on Sunday mornings.... I really liked the husband monologues too! I know I'm forgetting a lot. I also enjoyed getting an upclose look at Gideon. I feel like I know him better and know better how to communicate with him. Keep writing!!! I love it all. So entertaining and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it and for your encouragement. It means a lot. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all of your posts this month. I enjoyed reading it and do have a lot in common. I live in Almaty, Kazakhstan and our autism (we only have one child with autism) is pretty much the same (although I know they are all unique). I loved your attitude and your humor, please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margarita, thank you so much for reading it. I'm so glad we were able to get connected through Pat.

      Delete